Friday 8 March 2013

Buying tickets for Man City v Barnsley in FACup Quarter-finals


Personal news:
I popped into Barnsley Football Club ticket office today & asked for 2 tickets for Manchester City v Barnsley FC in the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup.  Of course I knew full well that the Man City stadium is sold out, including Barnsley’s allocation of 6000 tickets.  However, on the way down, I prayed, “Lord, if it pleases you, I’d love to have 2 seats together” (so I can take our 12 yr old).

I walked into an empty ticket office and the woman said, “Two tickets have just been returned”, so I bought them, amazed at answered prayer.  God always answers prayer, but sometimes the answer is no, or not yet!  It’s good to pray about all manner of things, including football tickets, and trusting God with the outcome!

I began to think a bit more...why does such a game, which, as my mother-in-law says, is just a bag of wind being kicked around cause such interest?  It does galvanise a town like Barnsley to be playing in the Q/F of the FA Cup, against such high quality opponents (last season’s Premier League champions).  Football draws a community together.  But also there is something about the ‘underdog’ trying to topple the ‘favourites’, indeed the odds are stacked against BFC progressing to the semi-finals of the world’s old football competition.  But we all love to see the ‘weak shame the strong’. 
 
This reminds me of the good news of Jesus, who from a position of total weakness ‘disarmed the powers and authorities...triumphing over them by the cross” (Bible).  At Gateway Church we’re half-way through a preaching series looking at why Jesus died?  The series is called ‘The world’s greatest hero – Christ crucified’.

Whatever happens at the big game tomorrow, we’ll enjoy the experience, even though it’s a dent in some birthday money I was given in order to buy the tickets!  I’m not used to buying a ticket, because I usually get paid to watch Barnsley FC!  Well not quite, I’m actually a match day steward at BFC’s home games at Oakwell, the home of where Gateway church was launched on Easter Sunday 2011.  Easter Sunday reminds me that surprises do take place – when the church celebrates and declares that the ‘underdog’ did overcome the odds and emerged victorious.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment